How an ACS patient navigator can help you
As a patient navigator with the American Cancer Society (ACS) within Gundersen Health System, Stefani Haar strives to make your cancer diagnosis feel less overwhelming by offering free support services.
Gundersen is one of only three healthcare facilities in Wisconsin to offer a patient navigator full-time through the American Cancer Society, making Stefani a valuable resource in the La Crosse area.
Resources are varied, and those that may be most fitting for you depend on several things, including where you are in your cancer journey and your type of cancer. However, all services are free and available to all patients, regardless of where you primarily receive your care.
Support through Gundersen's ACS patient navigator includes but is not limited to:
- Help understanding a diagnosis
- Assistance finding treatment and paying for it
- Transportation to medical appointments through the "Road to Recovery" program
- Lodging programs to ensure that if you must travel for your care you are still able to receive the best treatment possible
- Guidance on managing side effects of treatment, including the programs "TLC: Hair Loss and Mastectomy Products" and "Look Good Feel Better"
- Support groups in-person and online
- Advice on how to talk to children about cancer
- Information for caregivers and your support networks
For more information, contact Stefani at (608) 775-1359.