Fun ideas to beat boredom and to keep kids fit
With school out, here are 5 activities to keep kids moving while keeping them busy.
Physical activity is as important for kids as it is for adults. Experts recommend that kids get at least an hour of exercise or activity daily to help keep bodies healthy and prevent childhood obesity.
If you're looking for some fun activities the whole family can enjoy together this summer that will not only tackle boredom but will be good for everyone's health, try these:
- Grab your bikes. Bike riding is a great physical activity for kids and parents, too. Ride around the neighborhood, head to a local park or join a family-friendly bike event. Just be sure everyone is wearing their helmets.
- Hit the trails. Check nearby parks for hiking trails. Start with easy trails if you have young children or are new to hiking. Your kids might enjoy taking along binoculars or a magnifying glass to get really close to nature.
- Jump in the water. Even leisurely swimming or playing around in the water gets the heart pumping. If there's no pool around, a sprinkler or hose can keep everyone cool and active.
- Dance up a storm. Nothing says "fun" like a family dance party, so put on your favorite music and move! This is a great indoor activity on rainy days and can keep kids of all ages entertained for hours.
- Play a game of tag. This timeless childhood game keeps everyone on the move. The rules are simple and it's a fun way to exercise your heart and keep everyone laughing.