Gundersen Lutheran Vascular Services
is a collaborative effort of:
- Vascular Medicine
- Vascular Surgery
- Interventional Radiology
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
Vascular services was developed to improve outcomes for patients and to improve the efficiency of the process of evaluating and treating patients with vascular disease.
The Vascular Institute’s primary focus is disease states that require a multidisciplinary approach for efficient evaluation, diagnosis and treatment, including:
- Peripheral arterial disease (PAD)
- Carotid artery stenosis
- Renal artery stenosis
- Transient ischemic attack (TIA)
If you have a patient with any of these conditions, we can provide you consultative services to help evaluate and treat that patient. In addition, we educate patients about the risk factors for vascular disease.
An example of this collaborative effort was the region’s first endovascular stent-graft to repair a descending thoracic aortic aneurysm, successfully performed in 2006. A multidisciplinary surgical team included cardiovascular surgeon Prem Rabindra, MD; endovascular surgeon Clark Davis, MD; and Kurt Ziegelbein, MD, Interventional Radiology.
Vascular services is vitally important as Gundersen Lutheran addresses the needs of aging “Baby Boomers.” And, the multidisciplinary approach to this disease process has many advantages:
- Quicker, easier access to multiple specialists for your patients.
- Coordinated, patient-focused approach to the evaluation, diagnosis and treatment of complex vascular diseases.
- Quicker diagnosis, leading to quicker intervention and better patient outcomes.
- Higher patient satisfaction.
- One-call access to multiple specialists, resulting in higher provider satisfaction.
- More efficient use of staff and other resources.
- All this can be done in as little as one or two days so fewer visits are needed. This is especially beneficial for patients who live outside the immediate La Crosse area.
For questions about patients or for more information, please call via MedLink. To arrange a consultation or schedule an appointment, call our Vascular coordinator at (608) 775-GLVI or (800) 362-9567 ext. 5-GLVI (ext. 54584).