Gundersen welcomes new stroke expert
Sunil A. Mutgi, MD
Sunil A. Mutgi, MD, is the newest member of Gundersen's stroke team. He is highly involved in all aspects of stroke care, including:
- Acute, sub-acute and chronic care of patients who have had a stroke or TIA
- Inpatient and outpatient stroke and TIA evaluation and management
- Secondary stroke prevention
Dr. Mutgi is working with a multi-disciplinary team to reduce the incidence of stroke, improve outcomes, manage costs and help patients recover from strokes with as much independence as possible. By complying with stringent national standards and performance measurements, Gundersen has earned a Certificate of Distinction for stroke care from The Joint Commission and is the only certified Primary Stroke Center in the region.
Stroke patients at Gundersen receive streamlined, coordinated care ranging from 24/7 life-saving and brain-saving acute stroke treatment to rehabilitation and recovery. A team approach ensures the highest level of care:
- Inpatient Stroke Care enlists a multidisciplinary team to manage care for patients after a stroke.
- Neurovascular specialist(s) can use endovascular clot retrieval (thrombectomy) in addition to clot-busting medicine Alteplase (thrombolysis) for improved outcomes in patients with an acute ischemic stroke with large vessel occlusion.
- Stroke Clinic works with patients to prevent a secondary stroke through risk factor management and education.
- The region's only Inpatient Rehabilitation works with stroke patients to help improve their functional outcome and return home. Gundersen has provided inpatient rehab services since 1973 and has been continuously accredited by CARF since 1983.
Dr. Mutgi looks forward to continuing to build Gundersen's stroke and secondary stroke programs and educating regional healthcare institutions about the broad range of stroke services Gundersen offers as a certified Primary Stroke Center. If you would like Dr. Mutgi to talk with your staff about stroke care and services available from Gundersen, please contact Regional Services at (608) 775-8736.
For a consultation or a referral appointment with Dr. Mutgi, call Gundersen Neurosciences via MedLink at (800) 336-5465. In La Crosse, call (608) 775-5465.