TEST CODE: ALUM1
TESTING AREA: Referral (Mayo Code: AL)
Days Tested: Tuesday, 8 a.m.; Thursday, 12 p.m.
Analytic Time: 1 - 7 days
Preferred: No Additive - Red Label (Dark Blue)
Volume: 7.0 mL blood
Min. Vol.: 1.5 mL blood
- Clean the venipuncture site with alcohol; Do not use providone-iodine.
- Allow to clot for 30 minutes.
- Centrifuge and pour serum into the metal free vial avoiding transfer of cellular components of the blood. Double spin.
- Do not insert pipette into serum. Transfer specimen by pouring from one tube to another.
- Do not ream specimen with wooden stick to remove clots.
- High concentrations of gadolinium and iodine are known to interfere with most metals tests. If either gadolinium- or iodine-containing contrast media has been administered, a specimen should not be collected for 96 hours.
Specimen Type Preferred: Serum (Dark Blue-No Additive)
- Refrigerated (2° to 8°C) - 7 days
- Ambient (20° to 25°C) - 7 days
- Frozen (-15° to -30°C) - 7 days
Acceptable Specimen: N/A
Volume: 1.2 mL
Min. Volume: 0.3 mL
Transport (Submission) Container: Metal Free Plastic Vial from Mayo
Reject Due To:
- Hemolysis: Mild OK; Gross OK
- Lipemia: Mild OK; Gross OK
- Icterus: Mild OK, Gross reject
- Other: N/A
Specimen Retention Time: 14 days at Mayo