High school job shadows
As a teaching institution, Gundersen Health System is committed to providing high school students meaningful experiences when inquiring about careers in the healthcare industry.
Students requesting a job shadow must be at least 16 years old and in good academic standing. Students must complete both the application and health screening documents listed below and submit them for review. Once the application is approved, the student will receive a list of available job shadow dates along with additional job shadow forms including the required HIPAA training.
- Students/Parents should not contact individual departments about job shadows. All job shadow requests need to follow this application intake process.
- Students who wish to job shadow should provide a minimum of 30 days notice of their request to shadow. (It can take up to 15 days to process/approve students shadow application.)
- Upon application approval, students will be able to choose from a list of available job shadow dates.
- If you have to cancel once your shadow has been scheduled, please contact the Integrated Center for Education via email at ICE@gundersenhealth.org or call (608) 775-1452 at least 48 hours prior to your scheduled job shadow. This will allow us enough time to contact the department. It will be up to the individual department to decide if they are able to reschedule your job shadow.
- Attire for job shadows will vary. A list of the appropriate attire will be given to you prior to your scheduled job shadow.
- We limit job shadow experiences to one per student due to the high volume of requests we receive. This allows all learners the opportunity to shadow the medical professionals at Gundersen Health system.
Middle School or Elementary School Activities
Healthcare educational opportunities are also available for students in middle school or elementary schools. Guest speaker requests and some tours may be available depending upon the group size and age of student. To submit your request, please email the Integrated Center for Education at ICE@gundersenhealth.org.