Sternum & Sterno-Clavicular Joints
ROUTINE: RAO and Lateral.
DISTANCE: 30” to 40” for the RAO, 72” for the Lateral
FOCAL SPOT: Large
IMAGING PLATE: 10x12 CR cassettes
- RAO: Perpendicular to the cassette centered on mid-sternum.
- Lateral: Perpendicular to the cassette centered to mid-sternum.
- RAO: Oblique patient 10-15° to the right. Align the long axis of sternum to midline of table or bucky. Place top of cassette 1 1/2” above the jugular notch. Use 30-40”.
- Lateral: Patient lying on side or left side against bucky. Use 72” SID to reduce magnification of sternum.
- Patient is obliqued RAO to visualize sternum over the heart.
- Lateral: Try and get the patient to throw their shoulders back and stick out their chest.
ROUTINES: PA & Prone Obliques.
FOCAL SPOT: Small
IMAGING PLATE: CR 8x10 cassettes.
CENTRAL RAY: Perpendicular to 3” inferior to the C7 spinous process through the manubrium.
- Obliques: oblique the patient enough to project the spine behind the SC joint.
- Affected side down – take comparison views.