Ride-Along request form
The Ride-Along Program is currently full until March 2019. Please check back at a later date to apply.
The ride-along program allows participants to spend a day with the flight team and become familiar with the principles of helicopter transport and safety. You must be at least 18 years old and currently active in pre-hospital, emergency work, critical care, nursing or medical/emergency communications specialist. If you are interested in participating in this program, review the guidelines and submit your application.
- Participants must be at least 18 years old and currently active in pre-hospital, emergency work, critical care, nursing or communications specialist.
- Applications will only be accepted when all materials have been received.
- Participation will be on an 'observation basis only' with no involvement with patient care responsibilities. Participants will be under direct supervision of the flight crew and pilot.
- Participants must be in good physical health, be physically fit, have current TB test and hepatitis vaccinations, not prone to motion sickness, or be suffering from a head cold. Due to weight and balance requirements, the weight restriction is 240 pounds.
- Orientation and training will be held on the day of the scheduled ride-along.
- Ride-along shifts will be scheduled from 0700 to 1800 April through June and September through October. Only one participant will be allowed per shift.
- Prior to the beginning of your ride-along shift, contact GundersenAIR at (608) 775-4773 for La Crosse/Sparta and (608) 775-5408 for Decorah to confirm the helicopter is available and not grounded due to unforeseen maintenance or inclement weather. If you must cancel you scheduled time, contact us at (608) 775-4773 for La Crosse/Sparta and (608) 775-5408 for Decorah as soon as possible. If you are unable to ride-along on your assigned date or the helicopter was unavailable for your scheduled shift, it is the participant’s responsibility to reschedule. Rescheduling cannot be guaranteed and will be done on a space available basis. Please make every attempt to keep your scheduled ride-along time.
- All participants are asked to dress appropriately in EMS uniform (clean and professional) or dark pants, work shoes/boots and a work shirt (no scrubs). Absolutely no open toe shoes/sandals will be permitted per safety standards.
- Photo and video recording is prohibited during all legs of flight and while providing patient care. Photo and video recording is also prohibited while at referring facilities and/or scenes.
- You will accompany the flight team throughout their daily activities. We recommend bringing reading materials or something to work on in the event the flight crew is involved in patient charting, etc.
- Participants must be aware that weight limitations, the need for specialty teams, inclement weather, etc. may prohibit participation on certain flights. This may result in being left at a referring facility due to weight restrictions with a patient on board. If this should occur, GundersenAIR will make arrangements for transportation back to the La Crosse/Sparta or Decorah base.
- Participants should bring a sack lunch, as there are no eating facilities nearby. The hangar has a microwave and refrigerator available. Breaks will be provided as schedule allows.
- GundersenAIR is not responsible for lost or stolen articles. Please place personal items in a secure location.
- Participants must keep all patient information confidential!
- Riders will refrain from using social media to discuss their ride-along experience. This includes the use of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, YouTube and other such social networking.
- Following completion of the ride-along shift, participants will be asked to complete an evaluation form. We welcome any suggestions you may have.
- Date and time of designated ride-along shift will be confirmed via email from GundersenAIR staff.
- With safety as top priority, it is advised riders do not work a night shift prior to a scheduled ride-along shift.