Diabetes is a disease that requires proper management to avoid serious long-term health problems. With good blood glucose control many of the complications of diabetes can be prevented. Gundersen Health System has nurses and dietitians who are specially trained in diabetes education to help you develop a personalized diabetes management plan.
Gundersen diabetes educators work with patients who have:
- Type 1 diabetes
- Type 2 diabetes
- Gestational diabetes
Diabetes is caused by a problem in the way your body makes or uses insulin. Insulin is needed to move blood sugar (glucose) into cells, where it is stored and later used for energy.
Diabetes that is not managed well can lead to serious problems with various areas in your body, including:
- Blood vessels
Our diabetes educators use a team approach. Patients will have appointments with both the nurse and the dietitian and they will also work closely with your other providers.
Some of the services offered by the diabetes educators include:
- Individualized nutrition planning
- Blood glucose monitoring
- Insulin pump training
- 72 hour glucose sensor
- Education on specialized diabetes management devices
- Latest technologies and recommendations
- Lifestyle modifications
There are many benefits to working with a specially trained diabetes educator at Gundersen including:
- Recognized by the American Diabetes Association as an education program that follows national standards.
- Develop a diabetes management plan that matches your lifestyle, behaviors and medications.
- Provide healthy eating tips so you don't have to give up all the foods you like or eat different meals than your family.
- Teach you how to get accurate blood sugar readings.
- Provide ongoing appointments to make sure diabetes is under control and adjust the treatment plan when needed.
A referral from your doctor is needed to work with Gundersen's diabetes educators. Talk with your primary care provider about a referral for diabetes education.
Diabetes Education is a department of Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center.