The Norma J. Vinger Center for Breast Care offers second opinions for patients, physicians and primary care providers in our interdisciplinary breast and breast cancer clinics.
We offer independent review and opinions about:
- Breast diagnostic imaging (mammograms, ultrasound and breast MRI)
- Image-guided breast biopsy
- Interpretation of breast biopsy test results
We also provide consultation concerning breast cancer treatment options including:
- Advisability of biopsy or surgery
- Type of biopsy or surgery
- Lumpectomy versus mastectomy choices
- Genetic testing and lymph node surgery
- Radiation treatment
- Hormone therapy
- Breast reconstruction
- New treatments
- Investigational treatments
- and much more
The model of care used at the Norma J. Vinger Center for Breast Care surrounds the patient with a team of specialists, using a coordinated approach that results in fast diagnosis and a streamlined pathway through treatment. The Center for Breast Care:
- Quality is reflected in our one-step surgical success for treatment of breast cancer. Less than 15% of patients undergoing lumpectomy for treatment require a second lumpectomy. This compares to a national average of about 20-30%.
- Patient Satisfaction is shown through our timeliness of care. Patients with a new breast cancer diagnosis will be offered an appointment within 24-48 hours to see the treatment team and get a care plan in place.
- Outcomes are characterized by minimal breast cancer recurrence after lumpectomy. Cancer recurrence in the breast after lumpectomy, based on a recent Gundersen review of over 1,100 patients followed up to 10 years, is 0.4% per year. This matches the best outcomes reported in the United States.
For example, if breast cancer is suspected, more than 95% of Gundersen Health System patients have a needle biopsy instead of a more invasive surgical procedure. They can go home or back to work the same day as the procedure, with a band aid and a plan.
Patients will be contacted, often the next day, with the results. If the diagnosis is cancer, their treatment plan begins immediately, with unprecedented coordination. This means a short timeline from diagnosis through treatment, and outcomes that match or exceed the best breast centers in the nation. The end result is excellent, compassionate care, at a reduced cost.