Every adult is at risk for breast cancer. More than 200,000 women in the U.S. are diagnosed each year and men can be at risk as well. Despite advances made in breast cancer treatment, early detection remains the best way to fight the disease.
The model of care used at the Norma J. Vinger Center for Breast Care surrounds the patient with a team of specialists, using a coordinated approach that results in fast diagnosis and a streamlined pathway through treatment.
For example, if breast cancer is suspected, more than 95 percent of Gundersen Health System patients have a needle biopsy instead of a more invasive surgical procedure. They can go home or back to work the same day as the procedure, with a band aid and a plan.
Patients will be contacted, often the next day, with the results. If the diagnosis is cancer, their treatment plan begins immediately, with unprecedented coordination. This means a short timeline from diagnosis through treatment, and outcomes that match or exceed the best breast centers in the nation. The end result is excellent, compassionate care, at a reduced cost.
Specialists in the Norma J. Vinger Center for Breast Care believe in discussing all effective treatment options with patients, carefully explaining benefits and risks. Patient cases are also discussed weekly at a breast cancer conference attended by breast radiologists, surgeons, a geneticist, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, and others to deliver the best treatment options for patients.
Other services offered in the Norma J. Vinger Center for Breast Care include:
- Second opinion services by breast radiologists, pathologists, surgeons, and radiation and medical oncologists.
- Up-to-date surgical treatment and plastic reconstruction options.
- Modern radiation therapy including brachytherapy (MammoSite or Savi) and other partial breast irradiation techniques (IMRT).
- Comprehensive medical oncology services, including investigational clinical trials.
- Breast cancer risk assessment and genetics testing and counseling.
- Complete emotional support, including issues with body image and sexuality.
- Financial counseling.
- Assistance with post-mastectomy products and prostheses.