People who experience significant mood or emotional changes, but don’t need inpatient psychiatric hospitalization have somewhere they can turn. Gundersen Behavioral Health’s Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) is an outpatient program that helps people improve their mental health and teaches them coping skills to help them function in their daily lives.
PHP is a short term program:
- Average length of participation is 7-10 days
- Meets from 9 a.m. - 2 p.m. with a one hour lunch break Monday through Friday
- Meets at Gundersen Behavioral Health Onalaska, 123 16th Avenue South, Onalaska
- Patients are responsible for transportation to and from program
This program provides a small group setting for patients to receive a combination of:
- Daily assessments
The PHP team addresses holistic health needs of the patients and can help them access the healthcare system if necessary. The team consists of:
- Nurse Pracitioner
- Occupational Therapist
- Recreational Therapist
- Patient liaisons
Patients are actively involved in their ongoing treatment and discharge planning. There’s also an opportunity for family or care partners to be involved. Various treatment options are available for follow up care.
To see if you meet the criteria for PHP:
- Call (608) 775-7987 or (800) 362-9567, ext. 57987 for a referral
- Schedule an intake with a counselor and registered nurse
If you meet the criteria for PHP, you can be immediately admitted to the program. If you don’t meet the criteria, alternative care options are recommended.
Most insurers, both private and public, cover PHP involvement. Funding is confirmed prior to admission to the program. Patients should contact their insurance providers directly for details of coverage. It may be referred to as Transitional Services by some insurers.
If you are experiencing a mental health crisis, please call 9-1-1 or Great Rivers 2-1-1 (just dial 2-1-1) for immediate assistance.