Walk, Ride, Share for Cleaner Air is a Gundersen Health System employee challenge. The purpose of the challenge is to encourage employees to get in physical activity on a regular basis and to reduce greenhouse emissions and traffic congestion by actively or alternatively commuting.
Here's how it works:
- Open Registration
- Register any time during challenge.
- Report activity by required due date to be eligible for prizes.
- Participants receive a Gundersen Health System sports water bottle for registering - supplies are limited!
- Challenge continues until Aug. 31
- Participants track active/alternative commuting to work
- Active/alternative commuting includes:
- Bicycle riding
- Car pooling
- Using mass transit transportation
- Any other travel without driving yourself (rollerblading, skateboarding. Have fun and get creative.)
- Follow the Rules of the Road - As appropriate - obey all traffic signs, signal and watch for traffic at intersections, cross at crosswalks, do not exceed speed limit, wear seatbelt at all times, ride with traffic (bike, car), walk against traffic or use sidewalk when available, use proper lane position, etc.
- Wear appropriate attire to be visible and safe - As appropriate - wear helmet, protective equipment (bike, rollerblade), be visible-wear bright clothing or reflective clothing, wear lights on person or bike, wear comfortable shoes, wear seatbelt (car, bus if applicable), use rain gear as appropriate-poncho, umbrella, fenders, etc.
- Be alert and aware of surroundings - As appropriate - do not use ear buds or listen to loud radio, do not talk or text on cell phone, monitor surroundings for potential dangers - environmental lighting, uneven terrain, road conditions, etc.
- Safety inspection of your mode of transportation - As appropriate - secure cargo, ensure proper tire inflation, ensure mechanical items in good working condition - brakes, chains, belts, lights, turn signals, etc. Shoes in good working condition (not excessively worn, protecting feet from hazards), laces secured, etc.
Register now to participate in the Walk, Ride, Share for Cleaner Air employee challenge. If you have any questions, contact Susan Lundsten at ext. 55442.