In an era where healthcare information is available to patients with just a few clicks of a mouse, awards represent something of a report card that tell not just what we do, but how well we do it. Objective third-party evaluations take into consideration a broad range of factors, and are based on a variety of data and measures.
, one of the leading healthcare ratings organizations in the country, analyzed the nation’s more than 4,500 non-federal hospitals (based on Medicare data from 2010-2012). Those who achieved consistent, high-quality care across the board, not just in one or two specialties, received the 2014 Healthgrades Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinic Excellence™. Gundersen Health System was one of only 260 hospitals achieving the distinction, placing Gundersen among the top 5% of hospitals in the nation for clinical quality care for the seventh consecutive year.
Because of this consistent clinical excellence, Gundersen received Healthgrades America's 50 Best Hospitals™ designation for 2014. This achievement places Gundersen among the top 1 percent of hospitals nationwide.
- Healthgrades Excellence Awards™ in Cardiac Care (2010-2014) and Coronary Intervention (2011-2014)
- Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals in Cardiac Care (2012-2014) and Coronary Intervention (2012-2014)
- Top 5 percent in the nation for Overall Cardiac Services (2011-2014), Cardiology Services (2011-2014) and Coronary Interventional Procedures (2011-2014)
- Five-star recipient for Coronary Interventional Procedures (2011-2014), Treatment of Heart Attack (2006-2014) and Treatment of Heart Failure (2006-2014)
Top 50 Cardiovascular Hospital for 2012
Thomson Reuters again named Gundersen among the top hospitals in the nation for cardiovascular care for the 7th time since 1999.
The study shows improved cardiovascular care over the past year with 97% survival of cardiovascular inpatients in U.S. hospitals and about 96% remaining complication-free. The performance of the Top 50 hospitals surpasses even these high-water marks. Compared to other hospitals, the Top 50 have:
- 23% lower mortality rate for bypass surgery
- fewer postoperative complications
- fewer patients readmitted to the hospital after 30 days
- shorter hospital visits and lower costs, discharging bypass patients nearly a full day sooner and spending $4,200 less per bypass case
Comparing the Top 50 to a peer group of hospitals, the study found that if all cardiovascular providers performed at the level of this year’s winners:
- Nearly 7,700 additional lives could be saved
- About 6,500 additional patients could be free of complications
- More than $1 billion could be saved
These statistics are based on analysis of Medicare patients. If the same standards were applied to all inpatients, the impact would be even greater.
Chest Pain Center accreditation
Gundersen Heart Services received the Chest Pain Center accreditation from the Society of Chest Pain Centers (SCPC) becoming the only healthcare organization in their service area to have earned this accreditation.
To receive accreditation, Gundersen’s heart program was evaluated to ensure integration of best practices in cardiac care and patient outcomes that meet or beat industry standards. Learn more about the Chest Pain Center accreditation.